Friday, September 14, 2007

Some Motivation

I've been talking a bit, but I haven't given anyone a good reason to listen to what I have to say. It's true that I don't believe I am very smart, and maybe you shouldn't either. I am probably what psychologists would call high in achievement motivation. People high in achievement motivation have high correlation to these 4 behaviors:
1) Preference for moderate, calculated risk
2) Preference for concrete, immediate feedback
3) Preference for personal control and direct responsibility
4) Tendency to research the environment and seek the advice of experts

These are the type of people who accomplish great things such as winning Nobel Prizes (or equivalent awards). This is a narrow view though since you can be very motivated and achieve a lot without receiving awards such as in business, agriculture, or carpentry to name a few. These people become very passionate about what they do and find as many ways to improve the process as possible.

I should mention that achievement motivation is naturally occurring in people who were raised a certain way, but anyone can learn it and learn to take advantage of it to their own benefit. You may want to read references by David McClelland to learn more.

No comments: