Monday, September 10, 2007

A Cautionary Word

Let me say a few quick things before I get into the bulk of this genius stuff. There are many people out there who get all A's in school and who do not learn very much. What they do is an entirely different process than what I would like to talk about in the coming weeks. Perhaps I'll reread this post and remember to talk about it in the future. I would like to talk about truly learning something in the sense that you maximize the retention time after learning it and maximize the speed by which you acquire this long lasting knowledge. I will be citing people that have done scientific studies into the human mind that demonstrate what I have to say about the subject, so that it is easy to check the facts. And finally, since I am interested in being a true learner, what I have to say will generalize to as many things as I can make it. Learning should not be about school; it should be about life and skills. Memorizing facts is great, but learning new skills is extremely gratifying.

No comments: