Tuesday, December 11, 2007

The Food Thing Again

So I've got more to say on this issue of being hungry, since I left it so unresolved before. In my post on 11/14/2007, entitled "Food!", I mentioned that the research evidence points to being hungry helps learning. Something I can't believe I didn't think about because it's brought up so often in Honors is Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs. So Abraham Maslow created this pyramid structure of needs. You must fulfill lower order needs before higher order. Here's the structure:

1. Physiological -- you need food, water, oxygen, etc. in order to survive. These needs must be filled before any other needs can be addressed.

2. Safety and Physical Security -- shelter from weather, protection from predators, etc. Clearly if your house was inaccessible and your oxygen supply was inaccessible, you would try to regain your air supply before your house. So you need to fulfill 1 before 2.

3. Love and Belongingness -- companionship, affection, acceptance from others, etc. Now we have needs that are satisfied through interaction with other people. Clearly the first two needs are more important to survival than this third one, but Maslow claims that you must fill those needs before you are able to competently fill this one.

4. Esteem -- need for a sense of mastery and power and a sense of appreciation from others. Let me clarify why this one is different than 3. Esteem needs are evaluative (and self-evaluative). Appreciation requires evaluation while acceptance or affection do not. Thus appreciation is more elaborate than acceptance and is a higher order need.

5. Self-Actualization -- this is the tendency to become whatever you're capable of becoming, or to extend yourself to the limits of your capabilities. See research by Carl Rogers to gain a better understanding of this.

So Maslow's main assumption was that the needs that are lower on the scale are more demanding, meaning that if we are hungry, we cannot have a strong need for achievement (something less demanding that food).

1 comment:

Kevin said...

I've experienced hunger going both ways that you described, one being a method of motivation or demotivation. Thinking back to last semester, Maslow maybe be able to explain both circumstances.

Hunger was a motivation tool when I had satisfied my other physiological needs (ex. sleep, human interaction). When I got hungry I to set a goal (ex. to finish reading a chapter) and found that I did the work more efficently and ate dinner with a sense of progress.

Hunger was a demotivational tool when I was deficent in other my physiological needs. In that state, the first sign of hunger I got I was out the door and in the cafeteria.

How much do other Maslow's needs play in productivity? I think thats another interesting question in itself.